What is Autism?
AEF Schools and Autism – Autism Schools
AEF Schools has an academy and preparatory program which may fit specific students diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
As a spectrum disorder, there are no two children who manifest ASD in the same manner and therefore AEF schools may not be right for every child diagnosed with ASD. AEF Schools has specific requirements for accepting children with ASD.
- Must be high functioning (for Prep program)
- Can be low to average functioning (for academy program)
- Must be toilet trained
- Must NOT be aggressive
- Must understand verbal instructions and be able to communicate verbally
- Must NOT exhibit any behaviors which would be considered emotionally disturbed or dangerous to themselves or others.
The students diagnosed with ASD who are accepted to AEF Schools in South Florida exhibit the following:
- May be fixated on certain topics
- Do not make friends or socialize appropriately
- Do not see other perspectives
- May have difficulty with reading comprehension or procedural math
- May exhibit high levels of anxiety
- Do not cope well with change
- Have difficulty communicating
- Do not accept responsibility
- May exhibit developmentally delayed cognitive abilities
- Are immature for their age
AEF School Benefits for Students with ASD
- Small class sizes
- Individualized curriculum
- Social skill, life skill, and cognitive skill remediation
- Safe and nurturing environment
- Develop friendship skills
- Learn independent living skills
- Participate in on the job training programs
- Focus on specific vocations
- Prepare for the next phase of life (happy, independent, successful)
For more information visit call 954-581-8222, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Call 954 581 8222 for more information